viernes, 1 de junio de 2012

Inspiration, that is what is all about!

Lately I've been extremely interested in reading/watching all I can about photography. I've been going back and forth with my professional goals. When people ask me what I want to do with my Fine Arts degree once I graduate I always respond: "I want to pursue a career in animation or illustration to work as a concept artist for an animation/videogame company", and that would be great -I haven't dropped that goal- but lately I've felt more drawn to photography than before. To be honest I don't know why that it; I think that photography offers an immediate response to what you're looking for (considering you get the shot you want), and portraying the subject is more accurate. I guess whatever path I choose, I'll be glad. Call me a coward but I feel photography will pay my bills and I think it might be smart to focus on it; I am actually okay with that because I really enjoy photography.

The past few days I've been wandering through the internet, looking at great photographers and feeling inspired, so I want to share a few of the findings I've got lately.

Photograph by: BurlapZack

For example, this great portrait. I fell in love with it when I first saw it. Why? Well, just look at it! It's so fun and out of the ordinary. One of the things I love is the DOF, I mean, who doesn't love such a whimsical DOF like that? For portraiture I think it is fundamental to focus just on the subject and leave everything else to a big aperture's mercy, right? Besides, the quirkiness in it just makes me smile and I just want to be part of that day.

Marji Lang's photojournalistic photographs are amazing. They inspire me and make me want to travel as soon as I can. I can't show her photographs from flickr because downloading them is disabled but it's just a click away in this paragraph. To be honest, I envy anyone who can take their camera to dinamic places with rich architecture and interesting subjects to shoot like Hideaki Hamada for example:

Photo by: Hideaki Hamada

I love his photography and one of the main reasons is because when I think about Japan, I usually picture an urban, extremely busy environment, full of lights, movement, and many people. In Hamada's pictures I get to see a calmer and relaxed ambience which makes me feel warm. I enjoy his Haru and Mina series quite a lot too. I just simply feel inspired by his wonderful work, and the fact that he uses film (mostly I believe), makes it all a very nostalgic approach to his life as an individual in an extremely modernized and technologized society. 


Photo by: Benoit Paille

Another personal favorite, Benoit Paille. I particularly enjoy his Strangers project because even if it looks as simple as requesting a photo from a stranger and then leaving, the whole concept is deeper than that. Interacting with someone you don't know, asking something, and taking a picture to make a memorable moment in that person's life. 

Many other people inspire me and I think I might start posting inspiring photographers at least once a week just as a reminder of what I want to achieve, where I want to be. To me looking at other people's work, analyzing it, and criticizing it is learning. I can actually see how things are supposed to be done, or how they work better. To me it is crucial to look at all the posibilities I have; considering I live in a really dull city, I often feel frustrated for not finding an inspiring place to shoot a picture, especially a safe place. 



1 comentario: